Wednesday, February 12

Zucchini "Fettucine" with Tomato Sauce

Zucchini noodles aren't new to me but the vegetable spiraler is! A friend posted about hers recently and as much as I wanted one I had to remind myself that I have more cooking gadgets than I can fit in my kitchen cabinets.

Then I happened to see one at William Sonoma when I was shopping for a bridal shower gift last weekend and - oops - it somehow ended up coming home with me.



If you aren't ready to invest in a vegetable spiraler you can purchase a Julianne peeler for much less and create zucchini noodles as described here.

Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
4 large zucchini or yellow squash
5 vine ripened tomatoes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano

Directions:
Trim and peel the zucchini, then use a vegetable spiraler or Julianne peeler to create "noodles". Transfer to a colander and toss with 3/4 tsp salt; let drain in the sink. If serving cold remove and pat dry. If serving hot steam for several minutes and, this step is very important, press moisture out with a towel.
Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes using a sharp vegetable peeler. Puree 1 tomato with the olive oil, garlic, jalapeño, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper in a food processor or blender.
Roughly chop the remaining 4 tomatoes and combine with puree in a mixing bowl. If serving hot combine in a saucepan and simmer for several minutes.
Divide the zucchini among bowls and top with the tomato sauce + pine nuts, basil, oregano and salt to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment