Tuesday, December 20

Peanut Coleslaw

Phew! Between deadlines at work and holiday parties I haven't had a spare minute to post! But I can't resist sharing this delicious discovery I made over the weekend.

Dave and I headed to Newport Beach for the annual Christmas Boat Parade on Saturday night. We wanted a "healthy" restaurant for dinner but we also wanted to be walking distance from the parade. We settled on Bandera which I LOVE although I certainly didn't expect to find any "calorie counter" options on the menu.

I ordered the lamb sandwich (good fat:) which I planned to eat open faced,  ignoring the au jus sauce and coleslaw. Much to my delight the coleslaw arrived looking green and fresh and nothing like the scoop of lettuce flavored ice cream I was expecting. It was so delicious I ate the whole thing before even touching my lamb (which was also very good!) The waitress was reluctant to give me the recipe but she did give me the ingredients which made it easy to replicate in my kitchen this morning:)

Ingredients:
One package of coleslaw
2 handfuls of kale, stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
1-2 cups roasted peanuts (depending on how crunchy you want it)
1/4 cup seasame seed oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Combine all ingredients and toss with your hands. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. They have same slaw at Hillstone's - love it! Will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and cruncy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

    ReplyDelete