Thursday, January 19

Crisp Salmon with Red Cabbage

There are two things I try to incorporate into my diet every day: kale and salmon. If you follow my blog you know that I don't particularly care for either. At least I didn't USED to. I've come up with enough creative ways to prepare them that I'm actually beginning to enjoy them (gasp!)

Salmon has presented more of a challenge since I can't hide it in a smoothie or green juice the way I do with kale. But the health benefits are undeniable (click here) so it's worth the effort!

I love this recipe because the salmon is quick and easy and the cabbage doesn't take long either. The whole meal, with the quinoa, probably took me 20 mins. (The kale salad is store bought from Trader Joes.)

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 lbs red cabbage (about 1/2 small head) thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
3/4 coarse salt
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 salon fillets with skin
2 tsp dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook for 4 mins. Add cabbage, 1/2 tsp salt, vinegar and 1/2 cup water to pan; raise heat to medium-high. Cook stirring until cabbage begins to wilt and liquid has evaporated (about 8 mins.) Transfer cabbage to a bowl; cover with foil to keep warm
Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet w/ cooking spray; place over medium heat. Season skinless sides of fillets with peppers and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Pleace fillets skin-sides down in skillet. Cook., without turning, until skin is very crisp and golen brown (5 to 6 mins.) Turn fillets; cook until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer fillets to a plate and loosley cover with foil
Wipe skillet clean with a paper towl; place over medium-high heat. Add mustard and 1/2 cup water to skillet. When the water begins to bubble whisk until smooth. Cook mixture until thickened (about 2 minutes.)
Divide cabbage among four plates and top with fillets. Drizzle mustard sauce over fillets and season with pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment