Friday, February 1

Glazed Carrots


If you follow my blog you know I never cook with butter and very rarely add sugar to anything I make. Unfortunately I had to break both of those rules when last week’s produce delivery yielded not one but two huge bags of carrots. Carrots. . . my least favorite vegetable for as long as I can remember. I can tolerate them in juice (mixed with plenty of fresh squeezed orange juice and a little ginger) but that would have been a LOT of juice!

So I set out to find a recipe that that 1) utilized as many carrots as possible 2) was edible and 3) was TASTY. And I think I succeeded! Despite the butter and sugar I was able to feel good about this one due to all the amazing health benefits carrots provide. They are full of beta-carotene which improves vision and protects against macular degeneration and cataracts. Carrots are also full of vitamin A and antioxidants, which protect the skin from sun damage and prevent premature wrinkling, acne, and dry skin. Studies also show that diets high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease and stroke. Woo-hoo!

Ingredients:
¾ pound orange carrots
¾ pound white carrots (or turnips)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Put the vegetables in a skillet just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add enough water so that it comes halfway up their sides along with the butter and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then adjust the heat to maintain a simmer. Cover the vegetables with a round of parchment paper or with a lid let ajar. Simmer the vegetables until tender about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the cover and raise the heat to high. Toss the vegetables frequently in the pan, as the liquid evaporates to a shiny smooth glaze. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment