Thursday, February 28

Roasted Kabocha Squash with Ham and Peas

When a kabocha squash arrived on my doorstep as part of my weekly produce delivery I had no idea what to do with it. But before I scoured the internet for recipes I found one in one of my fitness magazines (what are the odds?!) You can also cut into cubes and use it in place of butternut squash for these tots. (It's fine to eat the skin.)

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil, divided
2 small acorn or kabocha squash, halved, stem ends trimmed
2/3 cup buckwheat grouts (I sub'd bulgur since I had it in the pantry)
8 oz lo-sodium ham (no nitrates), cubed
2 cups frozen green peas, thawed and drained
2 tsp dried sage
3 oz grated swiss cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a foil lined baking sheet drizzle 1/2 tsp oil. Swirl cut sides of squash in oil, then arrange cut side up on sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
Meanwhile, in a medium pot, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in buckwheat and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook until tender and water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, toss ham, peas, sage and remaining1/2 tsp oil. Add buckwheat and stir to combine.
Remove squash from oven and increase heat to 425 degrees.
Spoon buckwheat mixture into squash and top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly. (Bake any remaining buckwheat mixture in a small baking dish alongside squash.)

No comments:

Post a Comment