Friday, March 8

Raw Zucchini Lasanga

It is rare that I find a dish that will please all of the different types of nutritional "lifestyles" ("it's a lifestyle, not a diet!";) that my friends follow. Some recipes are vegan-friendly, some paleo-friendly, and others gluten free. However, I think I can please almost everyone (including those who eat raw) with this lasagna recipe.

I substituted hazelnuts with the skin on for cashews so my "cheese" turned out yellow. Yours will be nice and white! Also, I cheated a little and steamed the zucchini. For a true raw lasagna you obviously wouldn't cook anything.

Ingredients:

Cashew "cheese":
2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Marinara Sauce:
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Medjool date, pitted
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp dried rosemary

Lasagna:
3 to 4 zucchini, trimmed, halved crossfire and thinly sliced lengthwise (I used the 2mm slicing blade on my food processor)
2 to 3 beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced widthwise
1/4 cup pitted black or kalamata olives, chopped

Directions:
Prepare "cheese" in a small food processor, combine cashews, garlic and salt; process into a fine powder. Add lemon juice and 1/4 cup water and process until thick and creamy.
Prepare marinara sauce in a blender, combine all marinara ingredients and blend until smooth.
Just prior to serving, arrange lasagna on individual serving plates: spread half of zucchini over bottom, followed by half of tomatoes, "cheese," marinara and olives. Repeat with remaining half of ingredients, dividing evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment