Monday, April 1

Spring Quiche

I didn't title this one myself. It's really the name of the quiche that I just happened to make last week. And it's also the perfect dish to serve when having guests over for brunch. (Yes, I realize this post would have been a lot timelier before Easter but we have been moving these past few days.)

I wouldn't have ordinarily used potatoes to make the crust but I have been receiving them in my produce deliveries and have a very hard time throwing away perfectly good food! (After tasting the potato crust, I decided it makes the dish. It may be a little starchy it's also grain free ;)

Crust:
3 cups uncooked potatoes, coarsely grated (I used the food processor)
3 tbsp oil
Mix together. Press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees until just starting to brown, about 15 mins. Remove and let cool.

Leek-spinach-broccoli filling:
1 cup leeks, thinly sliced
1 cup broccoli, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
1 cup plus 2 tbsp swiss cheese, shredded
Saute leeks and brocoli together in a greased frying pan 5-10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Place 1 cup cheese on top of crust, then top with vegetable mixture

Egg filing:
3 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Beat together. Pour on top of above filling and sprinkle with 2 tbsp cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until browned on top and set in the middle another 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment