Saturday, May 24

Baked Pork Chops with Tomato and Rosemary


One of the many perks I expected when I started my new job was more free time. For the gym, cooking and, I don't know, sleeping?! While I still expect this to be the case eventually I got thrown right into the middle of a full blown production a week into the job and have been busier than I've ever been even working an overnight shift a couple days ago.

This being the case I've been sticking to quick and easy recipes which I know many of you appreciate for your own busy lives. The great thing about this one is it keeps well. I was even able to take it to set for dinner, er, whatever the meal is that you eat at 1am while working and completely sober :)

Ingredients:

pork chops, about 9oz each
rosemary and thyme sprigs
1/2 head of garlic separated into cloves (unpeeled)
sea salt and black pepper
olive oil
1 large onion (peeled and minced)
1 red bell pepper (seeded and minced)
1 red chili (seeded and minced)
7oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar


Chops:
Heat your oven to 400 F. Place the pork chops in a large, lightly oiled baking dish and scatter the thyme sprigs, rosemary leaves, garlic cloves, and salt over the top. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until pork chops are cooked through. Make the sauce while your waiting.

Sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a wide pan and add the onion, red bell pepper, chile, and mushrooms. Stir over high heat for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Tip in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add the sugar and a splash of water. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until the onions are tender and the tomato sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Putting it all together:
Take the pork chops out of the oven and let rest in a warm place for 5 minutes. Pour any pan juices into the sauce and reheat. Ladle a generous amount of sauce over the chops to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment