Thursday, November 10
Fat Blasting Stair Circuit
This morning my friends Libby, Lindsay and Jess joined me for Tone It Up's Fat Blasting Stair Circuit. The infamous "Santa Monica Stairs" includes two flights of stairs totaling 180 and is set at a very steep incline. (The second flight is pictured to the left.) The view from the top is breathtaking and more than worth the effort it takes to get there. The second set is more difficult, and less rewarding and the third is only for the most committed athletes or those who are glutton for punishment.
This workout calls for FOUR sets of stairs...along with "toning moves" in between each set! Amazingly the girls and I made it all the way through the circuit, ran a hill to the beach and ended with a minute plank. Phew!
Here is the circuit:
1) 10-12 Burpees - Start in a standing position, drop to a plank position, return to standing (you can step or hop) then "explode" up extending your arms over your head
2) 10-12 Tummy Tuck Pushups - Perform a standard pushup then bring each knee (one at a time) to the elbow closest to it before beginning the next pushup
3) 25 V-Sits With Twist: Lie on your back but don't let your shoulders or feet touch the ground. Perform a situp bringing one elbow to the opposite knee and return to flat before switching sides. (Feet are off the ground the entire time)
4) 20 Tricep Bench Dip: Sit on the edge of a bench with your hands at your sides. Dip your body down while kicking one leg out. Perform 10 on each side.
5) 20 Shoulder Pushups: Like a traditional pushup but done from the pike position (think downward dog). Lift one leg and perform 10 pushups. Then perform 10 on the other side.
Optional fifth trip up the stairs. Or jog, plank, and/or collapse:)