Monday, January 12

Cajun Jambalaya

I went through a weird phase recently (well, it actually lasted about six months) where I had a total aversion to shrimp. I mean the thought of eating it just didn't appeal to me AT ALL. And this was a bummer considering I have always loved shrimp.

I saw this recipe in a magazine recently and thought OMG...shrimp...delicious! So I credit this recipe for resurrecting my love of shrimp. The other "weird" phase I've been undergoing for, oh, three years now is avoiding grain whenever possible. For that reason I made my jambalaya grain free. But for the southerners who are horrified by this modification I have included rice in the preparation below.

Enjoy!

Ingredients: (serves 4)
1/2 lb raw shrimp, 26/30 size, peeled and deveined, tail on
4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
1 all-natural low-sodium turkey sausage, sliced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and discarded, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 1/2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp salt-free Cajun seasoning
1 cup all-natural instant brown rice
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except cooking spray, mixing well until combined.
Prepare 2 foil pouches. Spray each piece of foil with cooking spray. Divide mixture evenly among both pieces of foil and seal.
Place pouches on a baking tray and slide onto middle rack of preheated oven for 25 minutes or until rice and proteins are fully cooked. (NOTE: When cooked, rice will be soft and proteins will be firm and opaque.) To test for doneness, carefully open 1 pouch and taste a few grains of rice from the center of the pouch. If necessary, close pouch and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
Carefully open pouch and pour mixture into a large serving bowl; serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment