Sunday, January 11

Plantain Chip Nachos

I've never been much of a nacho person, even in my grain eating days, so I certainly haven't made a habit out of eating them in recent years. However, there is a sports bar called Mo's Place or "Mo's" near our home in Playa Del Rey (rumor has it the Simpsons writers lived in PDR and were inspired by Mo's to create Moe's Tavern) that has the most AMAZING nachos. Thank god I'm not a college football or NFL fan or I would be in there a lot more often.

On that note, I recently heard the term "homegating" (I guess this is tailgating for lazy people?) and decided these nachos would be PERFECT for such an event. Like regular tortilla chips I imagine the plantain chips would get soggy in transport so best to serve them right out of the oven.
Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 ounces plantain chips (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
1/4 cup chicken or beef taco meat
1/3 cup shredded cheese
2 tablespoons salsa
1/2 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons slice black olives
other toppings: guacamole

Instructions:
Set the oven to broil and position a rack in the center of the oven.
Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet and spread the plantain chips in a single layer on a top. Cover with meat and cheese.
Broil for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the chips have slightly browned on the edges. If the cheese is not melting, close the oven door for a few seconds but watch it closely so the chips don’t burn.
Top with salsa, avocado, and olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment