Friday, February 24

Soy Chorizo Scramble

Dave and I recently ordered a meat and cheese plate at happy hour (isolated incident. . . I swear) and both felt a little gross, not to mention guilty, afterwards. We were most remorseful about the chorizo although I have only a vague idea of what that is (and would like to keep it that way!)

On my next shopping trip to Trader Joe's I saw soy chorizo. I bought it impulsively - guilt free chorizo(!) - but had no idea what to do with it.

A couple days later I was rummaging through the refrigerator for something to make for breakfast and I came across the chorizo. Determined to find a use for it I tossed the remaining contents of the refrigerator onto the counter.

The good news? It was delicious. The bad news? I still felt guilty! I had to check the nutritional info to reassure myself of the low calorie, high iron, high fiber breakfast I had just consumed. If it's too spicy for you (or your kids) try adding plain greek yogurt.

Ingredients:
One soy chorizo link (serves 2)
Two bell peppers
Half onion
Egg whites
Feta cheese
Olive Oil

Directions:
Sautee diced peppers and onion over olive oil until lightly browned. Add crumbled chorizo. After 1-2 mins add just enough egg whites to stick everything together (remember . . . it's about the chorizo!) Top with feta cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment