Monday, April 2

Farmers Market Feast


I am loving my weekly trips to the farmers market, even more so now that I live within walking distance. However, they have started to get a little predictable. Chard? Check. Kale? Check. Beets? Check. This time I decided I to buy the strangest looking vegetable I could find and figure out what to do with it when I got home. The winner? Kohlrabi.

The word kohlrabi is German for cabbage turnip (kohl as in cole-slaw, and rĂ¼be for turnip) though kohlrabi is more related to cabbage and cauliflower than to root vegetables. It can be eaten raw, peeled, sliced and added to a salad, or cooked... most often in Indian cuisine.

I've heard Indian food is difficult to cook which is why I have avoided it thus far. Cooking yogurt without curdling it is half the battle (don't ask me how I know;) But once you master that it's only moderately difficult. And totally worth it!

Ingredients:
2 kohlrabi, peeled and cubed (much easier to peel with a paring knife than vegetable peeler)
½ tsp black pepper corn (ground or cracked)
½ tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste
2 cups plain greek yogurt

For the kalan gravy
1 cup grated coconut
2-3 Green chillies
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Combine in the food processor and set aside

For seasoning
2 tbsp oil (preferably coconut oil)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
black pepper
Curry leaves to garnish

Directions:
Cook the cut vegetables in 2-3 cups of water in a saucepan along with turmeric powder, black pepper and salt. Cook until "fork-soft" but not mushy. Empty vegetables into a colander preserving 1/2-1 cup cooking water.
In the saucepan heat yogurt on very low heat until warm but not hot. (Do not let it separate and especially don't let it curdle.) Now add the coconut-cumin-green chili paste to the above mixture and stir. Add a bit of the preserved cooking water until it's the desired consistency. Add vegetables.
Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add red chilli, mustard seeds, and black pepper. Allow mustard seeds to sputter and remove from heat. Pour the seasoning over the vegetables and garnish with curry leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment