Wednesday, November 21

Avocado Pie

I have never baked in my life and there's a reason. Actually, there are two reasons. For one I don't have a sweet tooth and what's the point of putting all that time and energy into making something you're not excited about eating? And two, even if I DID have a sweet tooth, I don't have the patience or precision that baking requires. You will notice that I often take liberties with my recipes e.g. "the recipe called for 2 tbsp but I used three" or "the recipe said to cook it for 15 mins but I cooked it for 20." There is no place for these types of executive decisions in baking and for that reason baking has never interested me (much to my mother's dismay.)

Tastier than it looks
Enter the avocado pie. I saw it on pinterest months ago and immediately wanted to take a bite. But as that would require baking it was never going to happen. Then my mom asked what I wanted to bring to Thanksgiving dinner this year. Of course she was signed up for every pie known to man....every pie but avocado:)

Last night was my trial run. Ten or fifteen minutes into crushing the gingersnaps I thought "this is why I don't bake! Ugh!" But the finished product was exactly what I was hoping for. 

Between the gingersnaps and whipped topping I consumed more sugar than I have in months. But I was able to feel good about myself for also having consumed one of the best sources of monounsaturated fat (good for the heart), antioxidants (prevent aging symptoms) and dietary fiber (as much as a piece of bread!) So if you want to end your evening with something that both tastes good and does a body good (and you don't mind crushing gingersnaps) I highly recommend this pie:)

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 1/2 cup ginger snaps, crushed
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Avocado Filling:
1 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (not light)
2 tsp (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
3 large, ripe avocados
1/2 cup mint leaves
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Lime zest and mint leaves for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ginger snap crumbs and butter in a large bowl. Then press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes and then remove and allow to cool completely.
Open the can of coconut milk - do not shake it! The cream will have settled on the top. Spoon it out and set aside for the next step. Put 1/2 cup of the coconut milk liquid in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and allow it to sit for 2 minutes. Then place over medium high heat and warm the liquid and gelatin until the gelatin has dissolved (do not stir). Remove from heat.
In a large blender, combine: gelatin mixture, remaining coconut milk and cream from the top of the milk, avocados (pitted and skinned), mint leaves, lime juice, zest, sugar and salt. Blend on high until very smooth. Pour into cooled pie shell. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.
Right before serving the pie, combine whipping cream and sugar. Whip with a hand mixer into whipped cream. Spread whipped cream over the top of the pie and garnish with lime zest and mint leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment