Tuesday, November 20

Sweet Potato Pancakes

One thing I craved during my break from grain was pancakes. I thought I would go a little nuts at my favorite breakfast spot once I reintroduced grain into my diet but instead I ordered my usual egg white omelet. Ha. Once you are grain free for a period of time the idea of grain just sounds so heavy and...blah. But I came across this recipe for "Louisiana" sweet potato pancakes and as I am a big advocate of all things sweet potatoes I thought I would give them a shot. (Click here for the health benefits of sweet potatoes as well as a great Thanksgiving Day recipe!)

My batter was a little heavier on sweet potatoes and lighter on flour than the below so yours may not be quite so orange. One drawback of adding extra sweet potatoes is that your pancakes are "gooier" in the center but for me it was worth it!

Ingredients: (serves 4)
6 oz sweet potatoes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water and cooke until tender but firm, about 15 minutes (I cooked mine 20-25.) Drain, and immediately immerse in cold water to loosen skins. Drain, remove skins, chop and mash.
In a medium bowl, sift together flous, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk and butter in a separated medium bowl. Blend sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter.
Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium high heat. Drop batter mixture onto the prepared griddle by heaping tablespoonfuls and cook until golden brown, turning once with a spatulat when the surface begins to bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment