Wednesday, November 14

Post Wedding Thai Curry

Sorry for the hiatus. Wedding planning had me eating take-out for two weeks (gasp!) Luckily I live in la so it was easy to stay grain free. I even indulged in a lettuce wrapped cheesburger from Five Guys;)

The grain free experiment was a huge success. I felt like I could eat more of the things I love (cheese, deli meat, wine) as long as I didn't eat any bread, pasta, rice, tortillas etc. I easily maintained my 125 lb weight and even developed sixpack-like abs without doing a situp. I am so happy with the results that I have decided to stay low grain, eating one serving or less per day of the above mentioned items.

To commemorate my return to the kitchen I decided to cook Thai Curry. I'm not typically a fan of Thai food. In fact, my "husband" would say that's an understatement. But since he loves it and I've been dying for some pasta this recipe seemed like a great compromise. And it did not disappoint:)

Ingredients:
1 bag Pad Thai noodles
(I used Pappardelle egg noodles from Trader Joes)
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large egg plant cut into bite size pieces
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 cup coconut milk
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
coconut oil
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, 1 tbsp red or green thai curry


Directions:
The directions don't call for the eggplant or sweet potato to be precooked but I chose to do so to soften them up a little. For the egg plant I cut into 1/2 inch thick slices, sprayed with olive oil, and grilled for a few minutes on each side. For the sweet potato I placed on aluminum foil and cooked on 350 degrees for 15 mins.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles until done. Rinse and set aside.

In a skillet combine coconut oil, onions, garlic and thai curry sauce and cook until onions begin to brown. Add egg plant, sweet potato and red pepper and cook for several minutes. Add coconut milk, soy sauce and diced tomatoes with juice. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and let sit for 10 minutes. Add noodles and mix. Garnish with cilantro or basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment