Monday, November 26

Mashed Cauliflower

I try not to force my healthy eating habits on my family. Of course I share my recipes and make "suggestions" but they are free to eat as they please in their own homes (except my husband;) But I felt very strongly about offering a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes at this year's Thanksgiving dinner.
Mashed cauliflower is a great alternative since it tastes very similar to mashed potatoes. (Both were available at our table so I was able to do a comparison.) The difference is about 53 calories and 13 grams of carbs. (1/2 cup white potatoes - 67 calories, 15.6 grams carbs, 1/2 cup cauliflower - 14 calories, 2.5 grams carbs.) Also, cauliflower leaves you feeling much less heavy and "stuffed." (Though this feeling is hard to avoid on Thanksgiving regardless of how healthy you eat!)
The preparation couldn't be easier as there is nothing to peel and cauliflower microwaves easily. (You can also steam.) I made enough for 20 people but the recipe below serves 2-4.

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower
2 tbsp sour cream or greek yogurt
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, plus a few pinches to garnish

Directions:
Break cauliflower into pieces and place in a casserole dish with 2 tbsp water. Cover and microwave for 8 minutes, stirring halfway. Let cauliflower cool for several minutes, then mash adding sour cream and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment