Friday, September 21

Chicken with Honey Beer Sauce

When I started this blog last year I titled my before and after pictures "beer" and "vodka soda." Friends thought I was being clever (and perhaps I was) but I was also being 100% truthful.

Two years ago my lifestyle was very different than it is now. On the average weekday evening I could be found either at taco tuesday (two for one tacos/beer) or "South", the bar down the street from my apartment (fried pickles, tator tots and, of course, beer.) Sundays consisted of playing kickball, which really meant sitting in a softball dugout drinking beer, followed by a trip to the local watering hole to play flip cup (beer) and beer pong (more beer).  And did I mention my favorite sport is baseball (beer) especially watching live games (more beer) and traveling to Scottsdale every year for spring training (the most beer.) So, as you can see, cutting beer completely out of my diet for three months and drinking it only on occasion now is one of the most dramatic lifestyle changes I have made.

 That said I was thrilled to have an excuse to buy a six pack and then proceed to split all but the 1/2 cup we needed for this recipe with Dave. (We couldn't let it go to waste;) I think this can also be considered cheating on my grain free diet. But it was worth it!

Ingredients:
2 tsp canola oil
4 (6 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
tsp salt
tbsp thinly sliced shallots
1/2 cup wheat beer (I used Hoegaarden from TJs)
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Sprinkle chicken evenly with pepper and salt. Add chicken to pan; saute 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add shallots to pan; cook 1 minutes or until translucent. Combine beer and next 3 ingredients (through honey) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add beer mixture to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduce to 1/2 cup. Return chicken to pan; turn to coat with sauce. Sprinkle evenly with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment