Thursday, September 13

Spicy Mango Chicken Salad

Trying to savor every last moment of mango season, I scoured my cookbooks and magazines for yet another mango-friendly recipe. Of course this was a week ago and by last night the groceries I had bought for said recipe were long gone. Lettuce had done double duty in salads and wraps, cucumber slices had been used to flavor water and frozen mango slices had perished in my morning smoothies. But, determined to make this work I grabbed a fresh mango from the produce mart and set out to wing it! Here is what we (Dave was instrumental in this one) came up with....

Ingredients:
2 Chicken Breasts
8 oz Thai Red Curry sauce (Trader Joe's)
 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Mango peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
1/2 cucumber (diced)
1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
Greens (I mixed spinach and kale)
Olive Oil

Cut  the chicken breasts into long, thin slices. Saute olive oil in a pan and brown the strips on either side, then add the red curry sauce. Add the yogurt to cucumber, red onion and mango slices and toss gently.
Tear the greens into bite size pieces and arrange on two plates.* Spoon the mango mixture over the top, add the warm chicken strips and serve immediately.

*I massaged a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and flax seed oil into the kale 15 minutes before serving to soften it. I then tossed with the spinach before plating.

No comments:

Post a Comment