Wednesday, September 19

Chickpea and Tomato Casserole with Poached Eggs

No I don't have a family to feed. Sometimes I don't even have a soon-to-be husband to feed. But that clearly doesn't stop me from making an enormous casserole and spending the next several days eating it. (Note: these leftovers make a great breakfast:)

My favorite thing about this recipe is the fried eggs on top. And by fried eggs I mean fried egg YOLKS. In the past year I have become accustomed to purchasing egg whites by the carton and ordering my omelettes sans yolk. (Which is more expensive by the way. Less egg apparently = more money. The same way our tiny bikinis cost twice as much as a pair of board shorts. Hmph.)

My least favorite part of this recipe is the cilantro. If you insist upon it be my guest but those who know me know I wouldn't let cilantro so much as occupy space in my refrigerator let alone touch my food;)


Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 jalapeƱos, seeded, finely chopped
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand, juices reserved
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely crumbled feta
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)




Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeƱos; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add chickpeas, paprika, and cumin and cook for 2 minutes longer.
Add crushed tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle feta evenly over sauce. 
Transfer to baking dish. Crack eggs one at a time and place over sauce, spacing evenly apart. Bake until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, 5–8 minutes. Garnish with parsley and cilantro (if you insist).

1 comment:

  1. sometimes i wish i could just grab your recipes right off my screen and eat them.
    i'm always so impressed by your cooking. you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete