Saturday, October 1

Not Quite Coney Dogs...

As my friends know I'm a huge baseball fan and as my coworkers know there's a Wienerschnitel across the street from my office. Based on the above one almost can't blame me for developing a "hot dog problem." Which is why they were the one thing (aside from hamburgers) that I vowed to eliminate from my diet.

I can proudly say I haven't had a burger since January (unless you count Tone It Up's turkey burger with portebello bun or homemade veggie patty.) However, I admit I've made two exceptions for hot dogs. The first was on a trip to Michigan back in May. My Michigan born boyfriend Dave will tell you it's sacriligious to leave Michigan without having a Coney Dog. The second time was when a Coney Dog restaurant opened on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood in June.

On Friday night Dave and I had plans to watch the first ALDS game at Coney Dog. I couldn't make another exception to the hot dog rule so I decided I would just wait until after the game to eat. But I didn't have to. For one thing the game was rained out in the second inning (damn east coast and their "seasons") but for another they had a VEGAN dog on the menu! (At a hot dog restaurant... from the midwest!!)

I searched online for a recipe as soon as I got home and found a great one. You can top with sauerkraut to save on calories or splurge by topping with Hormel Chili (the closest thing you will find to Coney Dog sauce outside of Michigan.)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup pinto beans
1 cup cold vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/4 cup vital what gulten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1 tsp red pepper flakes, paprika, oregano
Several dashes black pepper

Directions
Boil water in a large pot with steaming basket, prepare 6 sheets of foil
In a large bowl mash the pinto beans until no whole beans are left
Throw all other ingredients together in the order listed and mix with a fork
Divide dough into 6 even parts, place part of dough into each piece of foil and mold into 5 in log
Wrap dough in tin foil like a tootsie roll
Place wrapped hot dogs in steamer and steam for 40 minutes

The recipe suggests BBQ'ing on the grill after steaming but, as I don't have a grill, I cooked under the broiler (about 4 mins on each side.)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment