Tuesday, October 11

Tempeh Taco Salad

I had never even HEARD of Tempeh before I started Tone It Up. Now this taco salad is one of my favorite things!

Tempeh is described as "a fermented soybean cake with a firm texture and nutty, mushroom-like flavor" which, I admit, sounds pretty nasty. But if cooked right it can be delicious! It can be found next to the tofu at Trader Joes and, like tofu, it's a cheap meat alternative. (So you get double the benefits!)

To make this salad crumble the tempeh into a frying pan and cook with the oil of your choice. Once it begins to brown add taco seasoning following the instructions on the back of the packet. While that's cooking I make a "salsa" using fresh tomatoes & mushrooms and canned artichoke hearts. Add a little salt and pepper and it makes the perfect dressing.

Top greens with the taco filling, "salsa", low fat or soy cheese and, for sour cream fans, a dollop of non fat plain greek yogurt.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment