Tuesday, October 4

Spinach and Kale "Pizza"

I have a confession to make. . . . I don't like Kale. And it's not that I don't like greens. I LOVE spinach, broccoli and even brussels sprouts. But Kale is too rough to eat raw (in my opinion) and doesn't cook well. For this reason I've resigned to hiding it in smoothies with one exception . . . the spinach kale "pizza."

Unlike traditional pizza this is very low carb, as well as wheat and gluten free, since I use a brown rice tortilla (Trader Joes or Whole Foods) as the crust.

Start by drizzling a tiny bit of olive oil on both a handful of spinach and a handful of kale. ("Massage" the oil into the kale to soften it a bit.) Place a tortilla on a sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle a thin layer of shredded skim mozzarella, or dairy free mozzarella, on top. Cover with spinach, then kale, and sprinkle with romano cheese.

Place under the broiler (on low) for several minutes. Check periodically. The edges should turn up slightly and the kale should get crispy. Cut into four slices using kitchen scissors and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment