Thursday, October 6

Variety . . . the Spice of Weight Loss

As weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise I figure I'll spend 20% of the blog talking about exercise.

One thing I should mention is that I never stopped running. Even during my “fat phase” I was running regularly. In fact I ran a ½ marathon at my heaviest (138 lbs.)

There are two reasons why I continued to gain weight while exercising regularly. The first is that I wasn’t eating right. It’s a myth that you can eat whatever you want as long as you work out (or it at least becomes one after the age of 25;) That’s why I give the Tone It Up meal plan so much credit for my transformation.

However, I also did a bit of research to determine how it was possible to burn all those calories and not lose weight! It turns out that your body adapts to your regular routine (there is a scientific explanation involving the body’s desire to maintain homeostasis but I will avoid getting into that here.) As it adapts the workout becomes less challenging and, unfortunately less effective.

The secret is to vary your routine every week, if not every day, so your body doesn’t become accustomed to it. (An added benefit is that it makes your routine more fun and increases the likelihood of sticking to it!) I don’t know how this was possible before “Groupon” like vouchers (especially in la where studio gyms charge between $20-$35 per class!) But with vouchers I can do spinning one day, boxing the next and kettle bell the day after that. All for the price of a monthly gym membership (in Los Angeles:)

Today I tried a pilates reformer class . . . for the first time! I have no idea what took me so long, especially considering all the “trendy” classes I’ve tried (trx, piloxing, antigravity yoga etc.). It was extremely difficult and a great workout. But I was disappointed that it wasn’t “fun.” I prefer high intensity, high energy workouts. (There’s a reason the only yoga I do is hip hop yoga!) So while I will use the remaining classes provided by the Groupon, I probably won’t stick with pilates long term. Which is ok. Afterall, it’s all about variety...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment